D.I.Y. // Hearty Pin Cushion & Box

Today I have a little D.I.Y. for you: a pin cushion-box-set.

IMG_8302.JPG

My mum had this very old but practical little plastic box/pin cushion-all-in-one set. That kind where you have a little box to store your pins but also a little pin cushion on top, so you can use it for storage as well as work with it. Naturally plastic wears out, so a little while ago the box broke and mum has been looking for a new one for months. In the end, I bought a little wooden box and decided to make one myself. And today I’d like to share with you how I did it.

This little project is one I like for various reasons: it’s cheap (I went under €5, especially because it includes things you will find in most households anyway), it’s easy (suuuuper-easy, believe me), it’s quickly done (because it’s so easy) and there are thousands of possibilities in terms of colours, size and looks. I used a heart in a different colour to be in the centre of the pin cushion, but in fact you can use any shape you want, a star, a rainbow, even a unicorn I guess (given the fact you can cut out a unicorn free-hand – I couldn’t). And above all, it looks cute.

First, I spray-painted the little box gold (mainly because I still have so much spray-paint left-over and because I really like using it). Then I collected all material I wanted to use: two different colours of felting (you can go with only one colour or with even more, if you like), a needle and matching thread (I used pink, but blue would have looked great, too), a pair of scissors, darning wool, a few safety pins and some mod podge(1). 

I used a plain sqaure of 13×13 cm in pink (the box is about 5 cm in diameter), folded it in half and cut out half a heart in the centre of the felting (2).

Bild 2I cut out a smaller square of blue felting (the size depends on the size of the heart, it should be slightly bigger than the cut-out heart) and attached it on the back (3), handstitching along the edges of the heart (4).

I put a small fist-full of darning wool in the centre of the square (still on the back where you can only see the blue square obviously), brought the four corners together and used a few wild stitches and two safety pins to bring the edges together and turn it all into a little round-ish package. As you can see in the picture below, my stitches are really wild and this looks rather unprofessional – but the safety pins (from which you can only see one, because the other one is covered by two or three layers of felting) are really helpful, especially if you are using a really thin thread like I did. 

Bild 3

Eventually, I applied some mod podge to the lid of the little golden box and put the pin cushion on top. It took about 12 hours to dry but now you can’t even see the safety pins. I put in some pins and also stuck some into the pin cushion and voilà – the gift was ready to be presented to my mum (who, by the way, is really happy to finally have that old, broken plastic box replaced). 

IMG_8307.JPG

Advertisements

Under the influence …of lemon

I am in a really good mood lately and some might say that’s because of the weather, but I reckon it’s because I’m – involuntarily and not quite in a Charlie Sheen kind of way – under the influence.

So before I go on telling you about my new awesome self-made shoes, I need to explain something here.

Firstly, I’d like to stress one word here: involuntarily. Meaning: it wasn’t planned.

Let me explain: My brother is a chef and owns a restaurant and the other day he had to cater at a function in the civic centre of our little town.

Anyway, so Mum used her car to bring some of the food over to the civic centre and accidentally spilled some yogurth sauce all over the back of the car.

So Mum and my brother tried to get rid of it and my brother came with this “miraculous” spray a plumber once gave him – whatever, I don’t even know what it was supposed to be good for, but they put it on and successfully managed to cover the yoghurt smell.

Now there’s lemon smell all over the car and that wouldn’t be too bad (unless – like me – you don’t like lemons)…

But that lemon smell has side effects – when Mum and I drove into town the other day, we hysterically broke out laughing at the most random things.

We found the most boring things funny as heck and I kind of suspect it has to do with that spray…

Other than that I have also been exposed to a lot of glue lately and we all know what side effects that can have.

But the glue was kind of my own fault, because I have been making these:

You may have noticed that I am totally obsessed with comic books/strips/things these days and a few weeks ago I had comic shoes taken into my mind.

In search of shoes with comic motives, I drove around the entire borough and didn’t find a single shoe that was even just close to cartoons or something like that.

So when searching the internet for comic shoes, I only came across self-made comic shoes – and decided to make a pair myself.

And here’s what I did:

1. I got myself a pair of white ballerinas.

2. And a comic book. I wanted Superman and because “Superman in the Sixties” was the best, amazon could come up with within three days, I bought “Superman in the Sixties”.

3. And some Mod Podge (didn’t even know some magical stuff like that existed – in Germany it’s not very known of) and a brush and a pair of scissors and then I started cutting out some pictures and motives. And started sticking them onto the shoes (starting at the back).

4. And so on, layer on layer on layer until the whole shoe was covered. Then I added some “CCCRRRRAAAASSHHHH” and “ZIIIINNNNGGGG” and things like that and some cut out characters and then applied about six or seven layers of Mod Podge.

5. And finally I added some sparkling, glittery sequins.

6. Some final layers of Mod Podge and – done.

7. Okay, one last thing: it might be useful to coat them with some sort of spray or something to make them waterproof. Just in case…